Friday, January 2, 2009

1-2-09


Today I finally finished making this baby gift for my daughter's best friend who is due in February with her first baby. After breezing through the crocheted blanket and knitted hat, I spent several hours on the www looking for and downloading free patterns for baby booties (found dozens!). I let my daughter pick out the one she liked the best, and tried my best to knit them. They used two circular needles (at the same time!) which was something new to me, so I spent another several hours on the www learning how to knit on two circular needles. After two days and four failed attempts due to dropped stitches that could not be recovered, I finally gave up on that pattern, but was very pleased with myself for having learned a new, more advanced knitting technique. Next, I tried a crocheted bootie pattern, which came out rather..."crooked" even tho I followed the pattern exactly. On to my third pattern, the knitted one you see above in the photo, I knitted the first one with no problems what-so-ever! YAY! Anxious to finish the second bootie and complete this project, I cast on and began knitting...only to have to rip it out and start over four more times until I finally got it right! These booties reminded me why I hate knitting... it is soooo easy to drop and stitch, and impossible (for me) to get it back, so I end up ripping it all out and starting the project from scratch! ARGH! Crocheting, however, I have found to be much more "user friendly" because when I drop a stitch crocheting, I only need to go back one stitch to recover. Anyway, I am glad this little project is finished, glad that I learned how to knit on 2 circular needles at the same time, and hope that the new mom and baby enjoy their gift of love!

1 comment:

  1. I love the blanket, hat, and booties. I'm sure my daughter will love them too. I was telling Chels tonight that I feel a little guilty for getting an early peek at them:)

    ReplyDelete