Wednesday, June 3, 2009

6-3-09 Dandelion Wine Recipe







I have had several requests for my dandelion wine recipe, and since I am one of those people who love to share recipes, I thought I would pass it along to anyone interested!

BECKY's LIQUID SUNSHINE: DANDELION WINE

1 quart of well packed blossoms
(I pick 2 qts. of dandelion flower heads, then bring them home and cut the yellow petals off of the base and discard the base, using only the yellow petals, not the part that holds them together)
2 gallons boiling water
5 pounds sugar
1 cake or packet of wine making yeast
2 lemons, unpeeled (or 1 lemon and 1 orange) cut up, and squeezed a bit

I put the blossoms into the boiling water and simmer for about 5 minutes, pressing them against the side of the pan to "slightly crush" the petals to release their color and flavor into the water.

Then I turn off the heat and let them sit and steep/soak for about 2 hours. Next, I stir in the sugar and lemons (just give the cut up pieces a squeeze to release some of the juices into the mix in the pan, and then toss them into the pan and boil for 10 minutes. This dissolves the sugar. Cool to lukewarm, stir in the yeast, and cover the pan with a towel and let it sit for 48 hours. After those 48 hours, pour the mash through a dishtowel, or 4 layers of cheesecloth to strain it into 2 one-gallon bottles and put bubblers on top, and let them sit for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, siphon them into the pan, rinse out the gallon bottles (there will be a lot of "fall out" in the bottom) and pour the wine back into the gallon bottles with bubblers. Two weeks later, siphon again, a second time, rinse out the "fall out" in the gallon bottles, and pour the wine back into the gallon bottles with bubblers. Two weeks later, siphon again, a third/final time, rinse out the "fall out" in the gallon bottles, and pour the wine back into the gallon bottles with bubblers. After this, you will see a final "fall out" where the wine clears. It is then ready to siphon into individual wine bottles and cork.

Enjoy!

A great sight to read more about it: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelio.asp

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...it SOUNDS easy enough - but I tend to be more of a "consumer" than a "manufacturer!" Who can I get to make me some wine, I wonder?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks interesting - how does it taste? Do you chill before serving? Am I lazy if I just run to the store for a box o' wine I can consume right away? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cool is that - I wanna try it!! Love your blog girl!! Thanks for sharing it!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, want to try making it! Thank you for the recipe. Yes, what does it taste like?
    And what's a 'bubbler'? Do I need to find a wine-making supply store?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, that hose thing in the pictures - is that the bubbler? I bet Reno has the supplies I need. This will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've heard of this before but my goodness wouldn't have thought of it! interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm leaving you a fun tag this morning on my blog hon, Sarah

    ReplyDelete