Thursday, July 16, 2009

7-16-09 Banana Love


Nothin' says lovin' like fresh hot banana bread from the oven!!!
Today I made some banana bread, wrapped it in a new tea towel, and took it over to our new neighbors across the street (see 5/23 & 7/2 posts) to welcome them to the neighborhood. I wonder if they would enjoy seeing/having some of the pictures I have taken of their house being built??? I will have to ask them next time I see them!

I'd love to share a warm slice with all my blog friends too, so guess I will do the next best thing...
For those of you who still enjoy baking, here is the recipe (a hand-me-down from my mom):

Cream ½ c. margarine with 1 c. sugar, then
Stir in 2 beaten eggs and ½ tsp. vanilla.

Sift together: 2 c. flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, ½ tsp. baking powder, ¼ tsp. salt; set aside.

Mash 4 very ripe bananas with a fork on a dinner plate until they are the consistency of lumpy pudding.

Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the mashed bananas to the margarine/sugar/egg/vanilla mixture.

Stir in ¼ c. nuts (optional)…I use black walnuts.

Bake in a greased and floured loaf pan at 350*F for about 65 min. or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and not gooey. (I used two smaller loaf pans and baked them about 45-50 min.).

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Delicious! I am certain that your new neighbors were most appreciative. That was a really lovely gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!! I love banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh oh oh oh...one of my very favorite things - llooooovvveee banana bread!!! Geesh I think I can smell it!!! Yummy!! Namaste, Sarah

    ReplyDelete