Tuesday, February 12, 2013

2-12-2013 King's Cake

Traditionally eaten on January 6th,
King's Cake
has become my sweet indulgence
for Shrove (Fat) Tuesday & Mardi Gras!
It takes about 4 hours to make
(like all yeast/rising breads)
and is a labor of love to DH & myself.

While the dough is rising
I drain the cherries and dry them with a paper towel
and make the cream cheese filling...
 After the dough has risen
I press it out to the shape of a large rectangle...
 ...spread the cream cheese filling down the center...
 ...put drained and paper-towel-dried tart cherries
on top of the cream cheese filling...
 ...fold the dough over the filling and pinch it shut...
...wrap it around a can on a baking sheet,
twisting it as I go...
...then let it rise again for another 30-45 min.
before baking until golden brown...
 ...then I remove the can from the center,
let it cool to room temperature,
and top with a powdered sugar glaze
and some colorful gels or sugars...
 I purchased green, yellow, and violet gels...
but I'm thinking the violet looks more blue than purple!
Oh well... still looks festive
and tastes yummy!
Happy Shrove Tuesday & Mardi Gras!
Now, where's my knife, fork and plate?!?!?
Mmmmmmm.....


No comments:

Post a Comment